Sunday, August 19, 2012

The Unnamed Masked Man

I'm making a super hero costume. Sometimes I feel like the world is watching me, waiting for me to do all the things they can't or won't do. But then I realize that my wife is really the only person doing that.

But as far as I'm concerned, those are the same thing.

Every now and then, though, I'll get an idea in my head, and I'll take it seriously. I'll send messages to everyone who I think would want to know, just to say "this is what I'm doing." It's always surprising to me how much of a positive response I get. I routinely get people telling me "we're in your corner" and "we can't wait to see this happen."

Sometimes it's an entrepreneurial venture, other times it's a creative project or some kind of mission I send myself on. Well, I've still got my plate of things, but I'm getting used to juggling it all - I've found my groove. My "thing of the moment," if you will, is a super hero.

He doesn't have a name yet, or a logo, but I am his alter ego. I'm only 4 pieces away from completing my costume. Everything that's free, I've done. I just need to buy a discontinued set of eyewear from eBay, a Kevlar vest made for motorcyclists, a pair of riot gloves, and some light tape just for looks.



It started as a realization that there are a lot of stupid people on campus at UTA, who think it's okay to walk up behind a woman and slap her ass, steal her backpack, or even threaten her life if she doesn't perform certain acts.

I am not okay with this.


The victims always report them to the cops, usually the next day, and the campus police put out warnings and waned posters. And y'know what else? The assailants always get away. I've put together a map in Google Maps that pinpoints the locations of each reported crime. I'm going to start training in kickboxing, Muay Thai and Vale Tudo. I'm going to do everything I can to see that these people can't keep doing what they're doing. I'm going to have to hurt some people, and I'm probably going to get hurt in the process. But the wife backs up this project, and so does everyone I've told so far.

Maybe nothing will happen. Maybe I'll patrol all semester and never see anything happen. If nothing else, I'll have a cool superhero costume for halloween and possibly Comic Con. I just need a name for this hero. And a logo.

No comments: